THE BROADCASTING AUTHORITY of Ireland is asking the public to get in touch with their comments and suggestions on the new Draft Children’s Commercial Communications Code.
The BAI is recommending that ads which target children for HFSS food and drink (high in fat, salt and sugar) should NOT:
- Be permitted in children’s programmes as defined by the code
- Include celebrities or sports stars
- Include programme characters
- Include licensed characters eg, characters and personalities from movies
- Contain health or nutrition claims
- Include promotional offers.
It is also proposed that adverts for HFSS products can only take up 25 per cent of advertising time across the whole broadcasting day.
If you want to have your voice heard on this issue, responses can be emailed to email@example.com until 31 May 2012.
What do you think of the proposals? Go too far; don’t go far enough; just right?